Cuan Bhríde Childcare Centre
Hand Washing Policy
Keeping hands clean through hand washing is a simple and effective way for staff and children to limit the spread of germs. All staff, children, and visitors are to have the opportunity to wash hands when necessary.
1. Staff, children, and visitors should wash hands:
a. Before, during, and after food preparation
b. Before eating food
c. Before and after caring for someone that is sick
d. Before and after treating a cut or a wound
e. After using the toilet
f. After changing nappies or helping a child who has used the toilet
g. After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
h. After wiping a child’s runny nose
i. After touching an animal or animal waste
j. After touching garbage
k. When they appear dirty
2. Hand washing needs to use the following steps:
a. Wet hands with clean, running water and apply soap
b. Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub well; be sure to scrub the backs of the hands, between fingers, and under nails
c. Continue rubbing hands for at least 20 seconds (Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice)
d. Rinse hands well under running water
e. Dry hands using a clean towel or air dry them
3. Staff will teach children how to wash hands using the same method as above, when age appropriate.
4. Hand sanitizers may be placed periodically throughout the building for use of staff, children, and visitors.
5. HSE signs will be posted above or as near to sinks to remind staff, children, and visitors to wash hands.
Updated 12 September 2018